About Me

My photo
This is a little spot to call my own. I'm here to blog about what is on my mind and my plate! This is a place to share my journey to becoming a healthier and stronger me!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Must. Start. Packing.

So much procrastination has happened today it is unreal. Actually, I don't know that procrastination is technically the right word. It has just been one of those days where try as I might, I just have not gotten as much accomplished as I had originally hoped.

I should have assumed this would happened today, because I woke up to my friend's phone call asking me if I was awake yet. I was so confused because I purposely set not one, but two alarms to wake me in time to eat and digest breakfast before my 8:45AM Cardio Sculpt class.

Despite my late wake-up, I made what is quickly becoming my pre-workout meal. 1 slice of toast, 1tbsp almond butter, 1 small banana, dash of cinnamon. I probably should have digested more before class, that or taken a rest day before doing 1000 squats, because my legs were dragging today! I monitored my heart rate (HR) the entire way through, so I still managed to push myself to my limits but it was a struggle. The HR monitor is great because it does not allow you to have an excuse. You can actually see how hard you are working.

I downed a green monster upon entering the house because despite eating before class, I was still hungry. Guess I did work pretty hard? :) The rest of the morning was very relaxing. I laid by the pool and caught up with some high school friends.

Lunch was quite the portion of spinach. I have a huge box to finish up before Friday morning since no one else in my house eats it. I went pseudo-Mexican for this dish by topping my greens with 1/4 avocado, 1/2 black beans, hummus, and balsamic vinaigrette. Despite the odd pairing of ingredients the salad tasted delicious and I cleaned my plate.

So at this point the day took a 180. I was enjoying my all too common lunch dessert while creating my packing lists and to-do lists with my mom.I prioritized what still had to be done and figured out that I needed to pay my summer school tuition before leaving so I am not charged a late fee. So upon opening the account I realize they were trying to charge me as a non-state resident. Uh...Not so much. A chore that should have taken all of 5 minutes to complete ended up consuming my entire afternoon. By the time I got everything straightened out I was completely exhausted.

On top of the exhaustion, I had yet to mark a single other item off my to do list. Yes, I leave for France in less than 48 hours and I have not started packing! I am trying to keep my cool about this but the whole idea of packing for 6 weeks in one bag freaks me out! It is a lot of pressure but luckily I have tomorrow to really buckle down and focus.

On a happier note, while I was running in circles around my house all afternoon I almost tripped over this little guy who was waiting ever so patiently at the top of the stairs to come say hello!Just look at that face! I swear our dogs know when someone in the family is about to take a trip. Today, Boomer and Sheba were all over me. It is really sweet seeing how much they care. :) I kind of think it looks like Boom is smiling in the picture. Can you see his grin?

On a completely different note, my mother cooked me dinner! My household is a bit nontraditional in that my father loves to cook and therefore my mom is normally off the hook. (rhyme much?) Anyways, she has really been stepping up her foodie game lately (I like to think I played a small role in that, nudge nudge) and tonight she really topped herself. She whipped up a healthy version of Shrimp Scampi!
You can find the recipe here if you are interested in making this for yourself. It was a very savory dish, yet light enough that I did not feel gross and overly full like I normally do after a pasta meal. Good work mom!

With all the craziness that comes with packing and organizing life before a once and a lifetime opportunity like this occurs, I have not really sat down and thought about how drastically different my life will be in just 48 hours. Upon reflection, the major thing that stands out to me is the language barrier. Sure I have been practicing French at my university for the past year and a half, but I am no where near competent, let alone fluent. Moreover, I will be moving into a complete strangers home. I do hope we get along and that they are amiable enough. The nerves have not quite hit yet, and I don't think they will until I board my flight to Paris Friday afternoon. Until then, I am just a bundle of anticipation, anxiety, and excitement!

Until tomorrow,
~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!