About Me

My photo
This is a little spot to call my own. I'm here to blog about what is on my mind and my plate! This is a place to share my journey to becoming a healthier and stronger me!

Monday, May 10, 2010

The early bird catches the worm...

...unless they crawl back into bed after returning from an early morning vet appointment at 8AM. It is officially my first day of my final summer vacation. Oy, let's suppress that thought for as long as possible. I woke up at that unholy hour because my mother so kindly texted me last night requesting I take the pup to the vet. How could I say no...
When I returned, I busted open my packed up blender and ripped into a fresh head of kale as fast as possible. I was hunnnngry and in no mood for a slow cooking breakfast.
Enter my Kale Packed Green Monster:
  • 4 Kale Leaves
  • 1 Cup Fresh, Organic Spinach
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 tbsp Agave Nectar
  • 1/3 cup of oats
  • 1/4 cup English Granola








If y'all know anything of my love for green monsters, then this little summery little concoction should come as no surprise. I present to you, The Frozen Green Monster! I made way to much monster for my tummy this morning, so I froze 1/2 of the serving in a plastic cup. It is kind of like the shaved ice you get during the summer, only with a healthy little kick to it. Warning, the flavor profile changes after freezing, so this is not a snack for the faint of heart.

Lunch today was rather boring and bland, but after a relaxing morning of foam rolling (which I am glad to start doing again), Glee, Modern Family, and blog reading, I wasn't really in the mood to make anything fancy. Not to mention, I only picked up the basics at the grocery store yesterday, so I really could not let my creative juices flow. ;)
Lunch:
  • 1 La Tortilla Factory wrap (tomato basil flavor)
  • 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 2 tbsp hummus
  • 3 pieces of brocilli chopped
  • 5 baby carrots
Served alongside some Popchips! for a good crunch factor.
I ran some errands for my mother this afternoon since she does so much for me all the time, and I managed to snag some more fresh produce before heading home for a run.Excuse my crappy photography, but if you can't read it, I completed 4.34 miles in 51:09. Not my best time, but I faced some serious headwind today. I managed to keep a relatively steady pace the entire time though, which is great because I feel like that is something I normally struggle with.
Sidenote: I ran in my obnoxious orange Syracuse T-Shirt just for good measure today. I figured since I was running on a main road in Little Rock there was no better way to let everyone know I am back in town than by running in a 'Cuse shirt. I always see someone I know on that road, without fail, so score one for multitasking!

Dinner followed a much needed shower. I finally broke down and bought brussel sprouts! I am pretty sure they are the only veggie I have not tried to roast at this point, and since the grocery bill has shifted hands for the time being (love you parental units!), it seemed like today was the day to be adventurous.
Dinner:
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 10 brussel sprouts, sliced in 1/2
  • 1/4 onion
  • 1 small sweet potato, sliced thin
Roast at 375 for 25 minutes, flip, and roast for 10 additional minutes at 325. Salt and Pepper to taste and you really can do no wrong. Y'all know I smothered this beautiful plate in ketchup just as soon as the camera looked away. :) It had to be done!

I must mention my dessert before I bid adieu for tonight. I found Banana Nut Vitatops today at the grocery store and I knew I had to try them!I heated one in the microwave for 10 seconds before smothering 1tbsp Dark Chocolate Dreams on top. I served this alongside some fresh raspberries and blueberries.
The muffin is so moist and the peanut butter melted ever so slightly so I felt like I was eating cake! It was wonderful! Look at that goodness for a mere 200 calories. Nom!

In other news, I am officially signed up for summer school as of today! I will be taking Nutrition when I return from Strasbourg, and hopefully finding some much needed employment! :)
Until tomorrow,
~Jenn

1 comment:

  1. Frozen Green Monster? BRILLIANT!

    Sounds like such a healthy day- fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!