About Me

My photo
This is a little spot to call my own. I'm here to blog about what is on my mind and my plate! This is a place to share my journey to becoming a healthier and stronger me!

Saturday, May 15, 2010


Before I address the title of this post, I want to start out on a positive note. I am currently oh so relaxed thanks to my two favorite hobbies coinciding. Blogging and Snacking. Although I am not quite as much an expert in this field as one of my favorite bloggers, I think we both find our mojo when these blissful moments occur simultaneously.

In order to explain how I arrived at this place we must back up,wayyy up, to 5:30AM when my alarm blasted and woke me from a beautiful nights slumber.While pondering life one day at my internship, I stumbled upon a local 5k that fit into my schedule while I was home. In an attempt to look bada$, I signed up without realizing the start time was 8:00AM. That is the reason I was up at that horrendous hour. Note to self: you're not a morning person, so stop trying.

My pre-race breakfast consisted of large vats of coffee and 2 pieces of Ezekiel Sesame toast, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 apple, and a dash of cinnamon.
I wanted to use a banana, but seeing as I froze them for my smoothies, I was SOL.
My cute little mom signed up for the race with me, and y'all, she kicked butt today! She has been working out really hard lately and her efforts were definitely rewarded today. Way to go mom!
Here we are after the race. As proud as I am of her, I cannot help but be disappointed in my time. I came in at 33:07 for 3.15 miles. Despite trying to pace myself at the start to make negative splits, I did not even come close.
Mile 1: 10:06
Mile 2: 10:41
Mile 3: 10:58
Mile 4 (0.14): 1:21
I know that I am in worse shape than when I moved to DC. It is a reality that I have accepted considering the type of lifestyle I led. My clothes do not fit the same, nor do I walk with the same spring in my step that I had when I moved there. But this is a starting point. The point from which I move forward, away from late nights out and binges, and toward new experiences and my 1/2 marathon training schedule which will begin immediately following my return from Strasbourg.

Alright, I could go on for days about my woes, but that is not why y'all are here. Onto breakfast #2, also known as the post-race meal. This little ditty contained 1 cup (too much!!) cage-free, organic egg-whites, 1 large handful of spinach, 1/4 red bell pepper, 1 laughing cow wedge, and a La tortilla factory wrap. It may not look like anything special, but it seriously hit the spot. I am making a conscious effort to eat more protein because of how hard I have been working out since I returned home. Speaking of...despite my early morning wake-up, I somehow mustered up the energy to take an intermediate yoga class from 11:40AM-1:00PM at my gym today. It was a beautiful class and I felt completely in the zone. Strong, powerful, and non-judgmental... the way one should feel when practicing yoga, I think.
The afternoon was spent running errands and job hunting. Unfortunately, I have nothing to report on this front. Surprise surprise, no one wants to hire a college kid that is just going to peace out 2 months later. I am going to try to brainstorm some more creative ways to find income...if you have ANY suggestions, please leave me a comment. I will be seriously cash-strapped after the next six weeks are over.

While running around town, I snagged the elusive pineapple Chobani yogurt. It was very sweet and definitely hit my sugar craving. I paired it with 1/4 cup raw oatmeal. Both seemed to have escaped my camera. Oh! I almost forgot! I also tried my very first Kombucha tea (grape flavor). I found it on sale for only $2.45! From what I have read via the blog world, this stuff can cost upwards of $5.00 a bottle, so I had to snag some. I won't lie though, I didn't love it and probably will not try it again. Can't win them all...

I ate dinner with the parental units tonight. It is always nice to sit down as a family (minus my sis who is busy planning a very special summer for lucky campers) despite our constant bickering. I whipped up a quick, vegetable laden meal for myself.
Dinner included a vegetable burger (Dr. Praeger's of course, he is the man!), a small sweet potato with 1 tbsp vegan butter spread, and a basic spinach salad with red bell peppers, tuna fish, and balsamic vinaigrette.
It was good and cured my hankering for vegetables, but y'all must see what Chef Bob (my dad's loving nickname) prepared for him and my mom.That's right. King Crab Legs! Look at the size of those guys! My parents adore crab and find that they save mucho dinero by cooking it themselves. I tend to eat pretty fast, so I finished my meal way before they finished picking through all that crab. While we sat around chatting (about politics if you were wondering), I made a quick dessert. Can you guess what? I wasn't kidding when I said I was obsessed. That would be a dark-chocolate vitatop with 1/2 tbsp Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter on top and a side of watermelon. Sweet sweet sweet!

Oh and before I leave y'all, someone wanted to pop in and say hi. He was very jealous that Sheba was introduced to the blog world before he was, so with no further adieu, bloggies, readers, and friends meet BOOMER. He is the man and I could probably write a book on just how crazy adorable this lil' guy is! (I call him lil' guy because he was the cutest puppy and oh so tiny!) Not anymore though. He weighs in at a hefty 88lbs today!
That is 88lbs of pure love though!

I'm pooped. I just finished catching up on Lost and now I am going to crawl into bed and rest my heavy eyelids.
Until tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!