About Me

My photo
This is a little spot to call my own. I'm here to blog about what is on my mind and my plate! This is a place to share my journey to becoming a healthier and stronger me!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The 13.1 mile goal

Hi Everyone!
I hope you are all having as productive of a Sunday as I am. Don't be fooled though, I got off to a sloooow start. I went out last night and definitely paid for it on my run today. But we shall get there. I woke up around 10 and made myself a watery (ew) cup of coffee, oats, and a hugeass glass of water. Hydration is key after a successful Saturday night. :)I then proceeded to change my sheets, do all of my laundry, read more about my Beast, and catch up with friends and family. Whew. Needless to say, I am very excited to be reunited with my friends and family back in Arkansas in a mere two weeks! Around 1 my tummy started growling so I concocted a mega salad. In the mix was spinach leaves, red and green peppers, carrots, 1/4 avocado, hummus, a sprinkle of feta cheese, and a Morningstar Black Bean veggie burger. I also added a tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette and a whole wheat pita to the mix. That, my friends, is a powerhouse salad. :)
Whilst digesting, I made a very big commitment. I AM RUNNING MY FIRST HALF MARATHON. Oy! I am scary excited! It is going to be on 10.10.10 and I will begin a 12-week training program shortly after I return from Strasbourg on July 18th. Sidenote: I was so pumped and proud of myself for actually signing up that I busted out a 3 mile run in 32:30. It was humid as you know what today and I am pretty sure I sweat out only alcohol, so I am pleased with the time. My roommate told me my face looked like a cherry when I got back to the apartment. Yea, I am cutting back on the drinking starting now.
Okay, back to my 1/2 marathon schpeal. Interweaved with the makings of an epic post-run yogurt mess. I signed up for the Mohawk Hudson River 1/2 Marathon in Schenectady, NY and will be running the race with a friend from school. Hi Bridget! :)I spent a long time contemplating the pros and cons of running this race. I ultimately decided to do it because I believe I need to be working toward a fitness goal. My fear of commitment (and moreso failure) has held me back before and I am sick of it. So although I am by no means in shape enough to run the race now, knowing that I have already signed up and that people are counting on me can only enhance my journey to get healthy and drop some extra weight. The way I see it now is that I spend a lot of talking, thinking, and reading about achieving fitness goals and now I am finally taking a leap of faith and committing myself to this lifestyle. I just found out that fellow blogger Heather has also signed up for the race and it is her first 1/2 marathon as well! I am glad that I am not in this boat alone and I look forward to a meet up in October!
Whew, that was a rant. I am all done now I promise. :) I figured its time to end the post since my ice packs have officially melted on my knees. NUMBBBB KNEEES.
Until next time,
~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. We are going to have a great time and your training will go great! Can't wait!

    Love,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. “hydration is key after a successful Saturday night.” I LOVE IT. (and SO true)



    I totally have a fear of commitment/fear of failure with things too. Sometimes i decided i want to do something and then have to peptalk myself into blogging about it, because “what if i fail and everyone knows it?” but its a good to put it out there – because it helps keep me accountable, and the truth is, so often we are our own worst enemy!!



    i love love love LOVE this quote:
    ”The way I see it now is that I spend a lot of talking, thinking, and reading about achieving fitness goals and now I am finally taking a leap of faith and committing myself to this lifestyle.” exactly.

    I lost over 30 lbs in 2009. then i just kind of maintained for a while. which is good. and okay. but i still have another 20-30 pounds id like to lose. and lots of fitness goals i want to complete, and not just say that im working towards.

    Reading this post has MOTIVATED me. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!

There was an error in this gadget