About Me

My photo
This is a little spot to call my own. I'm here to blog about what is on my mind and my plate! This is a place to share my journey to becoming a healthier and stronger me!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Grill Master in Training

I had my alarm set for 7AM to beat the heat. I was going to run 4 miles. It was all planned out in my mind. And then it didn't happen. Instead, I rolled out of bed at the not so early hour of 9AM and made myself a staple pre-workout breakfast. (2 slices of Ezekiel sesame toast, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 sliced banana, and a generous dash of cinnamon.)
I digested for a bit (read: watched an episode of Nurse Jackie) before throwing on my workout gear and my beast to head out for a run. Now, y'all know I live in Arkansas right? Yes, running at 10:30 was a bad idea. I made it just shy of 2.5 miles (averaging an 11 minute/mile pace) before I felt like dying. My body felt like it was on fire because of the heat. I ran slow and steady the entire time, but the weather just got the best of me.

I spent longer cooling down from the run than I actually spent running. How's that for global warming?

Lunch was created around 1PM because I could not fathom anything but water up until that point. Cool and refreshing summer salad to the rescue!

(Mixed baby greens, red pepper, 1/2 avocado, hummus, and light balsamic vinaigrette.)

I spent the afternoon doing one of the most relaxing activities I know. No, not yoga. Perusing Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) scoping out new products. I ended up with some great new products to try, which I can't wait to review for the blog.

Then, something magical happened. I decided to actually cook dinner. And by cook I mean grill. For the first time ever. Because, well ya know, why not stand over an open flame while it is 90 degrees outside. Brilliant. I digress... I developed on the spot based on what I found in the fridge: Shrimp and vegetable kebabs!
I used raw broccoli, cauliflower, and red onion as for my vegetables. Alongside an entire bag of frozen shrimp and a marinade composed of 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs and a generous dose of Bragg's seasoning. Once everything was one the grill, I doused it in garlic powder to add a kick to it.
The final product was just alright. Next time, I would definitely pre-cook the vegetables a little bit to soften them up and use more butter on the shrimp so they aren't so dry. You can't win them all... The corn I served alongside was a nice way to bulk up the meal. It was also nice to be able to sit down with my parents for dinner during the weeknight. Since everyone follows their own schedule, weeknight family meals are a rarity. I guess my skillz were just no match for the TV tonight. :)
To end on a sweet note, both literally and figuratively, I had dessert. (Banana Nut Vitatop with 1/2 tbsp Dark Chocolate Dreams).

I'm off to order some Bondi Bands. I have heard nothing but great things about the company and their product and I am eager to keep the sweat out of my eyes in this summer heat!

Stay cool out there!
~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Great looking kabobs! I wish I had a grill or I would totally make some too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that most mornings. Set my alarm with the intention of early exercise and then sleeping in.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!